Back to Archived News
Friendster Expands Its Portfolio With Fourth Social Networking Patent
Tuesday, December 09, 2008
Mountain View, CA -- Friendster, Inc., a top 20 global website based on traffic and the #1 social network in Asia, today announced that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has awarded the social networking pioneer a new U.S. Patent, titled "Compatibility Scoring of Users in a Social Network" (U.S. Patent No. 7,451,161). Friendster has been granted four patents since July 2006, validating the company's early and continuous innovation in online social networking.
Friendster's latest patent, granted on November 11, 2008, describes a unique methodology used to calculate compatibility based on expressed interests between users of a social network. This includes scoring the compatibility between two members of a social network based on their interests and scoring the correlation between two interests for a given member of a social network.
"In just six years, social networking has become both an industry -- since 8 of the top 20 largest websites in the world are social networks -- and a critical platform for over half a billion Internet users globally to share, communicate, connect and be entertained with existing and new friends, family and colleagues," said Richard Kimber, chief executive officer of Friendster. "A core component of the evolution of social networks is the ability of the online 'social graph' to represent our real social life. Understanding the common interests between people establishes common ground to build and enhance relationships."
Prior to this most recent fourth patent, Friendster was granted three social networking patents in 2006 and 2007:
- In July 2006, Friendster was awarded its first U.S. patent describing how people are connected in the context of an online social network, titled "A System, Method and Apparatus for Connecting Users in an Online Computer System Based on Their Relationships within Social Networks" (U.S. Patent No. 7,069,308).
- Friendster was granted a second U.S. patent in October 2006, which discloses the process of enriching other users' profiles with text, video, pictures and additional content, titled "Method of Inducing Content Uploads in a Social Network" (U.S. Patent No. 7,117,254).
- In March 2007, Friendster added another patent to its portfolio, titled "System and Method for Managing Connections in an Online Social Network" (U.S. Patent No. 7,188,153 B2), which describes a technology that allows members of a social network to manage their connections by, for example, adding friends; personalizing their network through arranging, ordering and classifying connections made in an online community; and managing these connections at will.
"Since launching the first social network in 2002, Friendster has continued to build and own a significant patent portfolio. Friendster's four patents address many fundamentals of social networking -- establishing connections, distributing and sharing content, managing connections over time and assessing compatibility between users. Friendster's patent portfolio is one of several assets of the company. Friendster anticipates receiving more patents, and we will continue to focus on growing our large global business into an even larger one," said Kimber.
Friendster Leads in Asia and is a Top 20 Global Website
Friendster is the #1 social network in Asia, with over 65 million registered users and over 50 million monthly unique visitors from Asia.* In Asia, Friendster has more monthly unique visitors than any other social network. Plus, Asia is the largest market of Internet users (Asia has 41% of the world's Internet users while the U.S. has only 19%), and Asia is the fastest growing region in the world.** Friendster has a loyal and growing user base throughout Asia in the following top 10 countries for Friendster: Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and South Korea.
Friendster is a top 20 global website in the world in terms of traffic, serving over 18 billion page views a month.** Friendster is 1st in "user engagement" among the top five global social networks, with users spending an average of 187 minutes per visitor per month on http://www.friendster.com.**
With more than 90 million members worldwide, Friendster is a leading global online social network. Friendster is focused on helping people stay in touch with friends and discover new people and things that are important to them. Online adults, 18 and up, choose Friendster to connect with friends, family, school, social groups, activities and interests. Friendster prides itself in delivering an easy-to-use, friendly and interactive environment where users can easily connect with anyone around the world via http://www.friendster.com or m.friendster.com from any Internet-ready mobile device. Friendster has a growing portfolio of patents granted to the company on social networking, with more expected over the next several months. Headquartered in Mountain View, California, Friendster is backed by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Benchmark Capital, DAG Ventures, IDG Ventures and individual investors. For more information, visit: http://www.friendster.com.
Back to Archived News
- *Google Analytics and Friendster Internal Data, September 2008
- **comScore Media Metrix, Asia Pacific and Worldwide Data, September 2008